Last week Reddit faced one its biggest hack when a variety of subreddit were hacked and many webpages were defaced with pro-trump images and posts. These channels on reddits after being hacked consisted of messages like “vote for Trump- make America great again” and other kinds of messages in support of Donald Trump.
At the time, Reddit security team said, the attackers had hijacked many subreddit moderator accounts. The security team also explained that the moderator accounts which were not protected by multi-factor authentications were the one’s which got affected by the attempts of the intruders who later gained access of it.
Is this attack a kind of reciprocation or revenge against Reddit?
Incidentally this attack has taken place after a subreddit r/The_Donald [Donald Trump supporters channel.] was banned by the end of June. The channel had broken its community rules by encouraging threats of violence, bullying and harassment.
What did Reddit say about the incident?
A Reddit moderator has said in a post,” There is an ongoing incident with moderator accounts being compromised and used to vandalize subreddits. we’re working on locking down the bad actors and reverting the changes.”
More over here’s what the moderator wrote in the post for the users whose subreddit has been affected:
What should you do if you think your account is affected by this incident?
In this case, First check for the signs of compromise:
- Have you received any email regarding password or email address change connected to your subreddit when you have not requested for one.
- Check which applications have you authorized to access. Is there any application you don’t recognize.
- Check for any unknown IP history on your account activity page.
- Check if you have enabled multi factor authentication on the account or not. if not, do it right away.
- If you seem to have checked everything and still are not satisfied about your account’s security, then change your password.