What is Amazon Pay Later ?
Amazon pay later is a new service by Amazon under pay section where Indian consumers can buy a product or pay utility bills on credit given by amazon at 0% interest with maximum of 10,000 indian rupees purchase per month.
How did the hack happened?
It would always begin with a mysterious activation of their Pay Later wallet. Then the account holder of the Pay Later wallet would receive a notifications that their credit has been activated and applied towards an electricity or a phone bill or in a purchase of digital coupon.
Number of people suffered ?
Huffington post has an article where the list of people affected by this attack has been listed.
Has Amazon India addressed this issue?
In Most of the cases Amazon India has reversed the transactions and waived off the charges, but in a reverse effect the original account holders pay later services have got blocked by the company.
What can you do to be safe from such attack?
Here is the list of things about what we recommend you to do:
- Change passwords of all your important accounts.
That includes your email address, your Amazon account and any other.
- Keep an eye on the notifications you receive on your device to suspect anything suspicious. It can be a tedious task but hey its always better to prevent than cure!
- Enable 2-factor or multifactor login on your email accounts, your e-commerce websites and on your netbanking portals. Also enable OTP facility just to be sure of the highest protection you can achieve.
- Check your statements in your banking portals and order history on your e-commerce websites so that everything is in check.
What can you do if you are a victim of such an attack?
If you are a victim of this attack or any other attack which resembles the same, its better to follow the steps below:
- Contact the platform or website on which this incident has occured. make sure you get email or any other written statements from the team for proofing.
- After contacting the platform, it is always wise to contact your bank and convey the incident that has occured to block any suspicious transaction that has happened or that is in progress.
- The next step to do so is to contact your nearest police station with the copy[soft copy and hard copy] and all the proofs of steps that you have taken.
- The final step would be to register a complaint on https:www.cybercrime.gov.in with all the copies from
your bank, the platform where the crime has occured and police FIR sheet. This would help your case to be put on fast track and will be solved on first priority.
For more such updates, do subscribe our website through the sidebar of the page by registering your email-id for latest and important tips tricks and guidelines. also follow our pages on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the same. We are everywhere. 😉